You have my mother to thank for this blog post: she’s started emailing me and complaining about my lax updating.

I’ve actually been quite busy recently. My charity has hit an exciting stage – we’ve finished writing our strategic plan and are on the verge of making our funding requests to various deep-pocketed organisations. I had a whirlwind trip to the other end of the North Island, with lots of good meetings. Man, that’s a long drive, though. It’s six hours or so from Auckland to my parents’ place (where I base myself and leave Tui for the duration), and then another couple of hours from Mum and Dad’s place to Wellington. And that six hour drive is always extended to more than seven hours, thanks to my furry little travelling companion’s endless need for games of fetch along the way. But it’s all worth it when she gets to her grandparents’ house and can lounge around, watching TV:


Long periods of time in the car have not helped the state of my back (which has been playing up for several months). After three hours at my desk one day recently, my back almost seized up altogether – it was so sore that it made me miss its usual stiff and slightly achy state. The pain was so bad that I couldn’t sleep properly and was even pushed to actually do something about it. Tristan hooked me up with an amazing physio and he poked and prodded me before deciding that I’ve got freakishly over-invested hip flexors that keep taking the strain when my core muscles really should step up and play their part. As a result, my core muscles are astonishingly weak and can’t really play the game when I do need to rely on them. So he’s going to sort me out a strength and conditioning programme; luckily, I won’t need on-going physio.

In the meantime I need to sort out the pain, so I’ve been trying acupuncture. And it’s amazing! I will admit that I was somewhat doubtful as to its value, and after the first session the guy was all “does that feel better?” and I was all “yeah, a little bit”, as I clambered off the table and didn’t feel any different. BUT: a couple of hours later I was pain-free for the first time in six months! And it lasted for at least three days.

And on that note: I’m running away to finish tidying the house before my nagging mother visits for the weekend. And I need to eat something – it’s 3.20 pm and I haven’t had lunch, so I’m going to scoff delicious Up Beet salad from the Countdown deli counter (beetroot, carrot, red onion, plum vineagarette and deliciousness, all handily mixed together in a plastic container).


One thought on “Nagging parent

  1. Thank you Pauline! I have missed the blog entries too. Jacq, I have to say – using charity as an excuse for your lax blogging… I’m not sure if I buy it šŸ™‚ So pleased to hear everything is going well, thanks for the entry!

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s